Chris Newport

On Friday 03 September 2004 4:17 pm in rec.boats.electronics Wayne.B wrote:

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:02:46 +0100, Chris Newport
wrote:
This is typical of an intermittent overload.

I would suspect a faulty electric motor starting somewhere
pulling a very heavy starting current.

I guess it's a possibility but is not showing up on the panel meters
as far as I can see. My air conditioning compressors and the
circulation pump all have high starting loads but they were running
steady state at the time.

You need to be very lucky to actually be looking at the
meters when the problem happens, so you best chance is
to start disconnecting things until the problem goes away.

If the meters are _definitely_ not showing an overload
then something must be wrong in the generator.
An intermittent short inside the generator or before
the meters is possible, as is some idiot wiring something
in before the meters.

Mechanically this could also be due to an intermittent
blockage to one of the injectors.
A valve sticking open is also a less likely possibility,
take off the valve covers and check for broken or damaged
valve springs.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently