Doug Kanter

Default Why So Few Pontoon Boat Ads?

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
Althought it is true will any boat, a pontoon boat can easily become

solid
waste/scrap aluminum if you don't take care of them. Perhaps a large
percentage end up in recycling yards when the furniture goes to hell
or the hulls start pitting. If you are using a pontoon in salt water
you need bottom (or whole pontoon) paint.

I see. This probably explains the reason why there are very few ads
for used pontoon boats (most of the small number of ads for pontoon
boats are for new boats). Thanks.

Then I have one question:
Does this also mean that rusty pontoons are very difficult to fix?
Therefore, people don't even bother to fix them. I am under the
impression that fiberglass boats have other sets of problem too, and
probably also be difficult to fix. I don't know. I am just very
puzzled.

Jay Chan

All boats need maintenance. I know people in the Adirondacks (fresh water)
who've had pontoon boats for many years, and I hear no unusual complaints
from them. The "problems" you mention are nothing more than normal wear and
tear (assuming you don't run the pontoons into a rock).

Personally, I would never have a pontoon boat if I were going to spend any
time on the ocean. I know people who won't use theirs even on inland lakes
when the water gets rowdy at certain times of the day. I suppose it all
depends on your purpose in owning a boat. If you're a hard core fisherman
who'll go out fishing even when the weather is making most people hurl their
lunch, you'll want a real boat, not a floating playroom.