Doug Kanter

"Don White" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

news:Zk1Zc.4397
I haven't used charts in years, since the Lake Ontario chart basically

says
"deep", "deeper" or "holy **** it's really deep". Doesn't anyone use

paper
charts any more?

We do! Last I heard they were the only legal kind for the Canadian East
Coast .

Frankly, I like them. I have a nice framed one of the Block Island RI area.
People think I'm nuts to have it, but it makes me smile because not far from
Block Island, my dad ventured into a submarine testing area. The chart said
to avoid ships flying whatever flags - those were target ships. I was 10 or
11 and I didn't want to be TOO pushy with the captain, but I'd just takent
the Power Squadron class and as far as I could tell, we were right in the
center of the testing area. He didn't think so. A sub surfaced about 300
yards away and informed my dad via radio that he should try looking at his
chart, if any. Just like that. I loved the sarcasm, but as an ex-Navy man,
he didn't find it funny. :-)