William R. Watt

"Ron" ) writes:
I'm getting it.

On a 16 1/2 foot canoe I could put the sail 2 -5 feet from the bow and then
try to balance it by moving the leeboard fore or aft. I hope to sail with
camping gear or more likely, kids. What might be the effects of weight in
the canoe and sail placement?

you may already know that when two people are paddling a canoe, especailly
an empty one, the weight is concentrated at the ends. it's good for
steering but it is not the best weight distribution. when one person is
paddling an empty canoe he or she sits in the centre. this is a better
weight distribution as it leave the ends empty and bouyant. as more weight
is added, be it kids or cargo, keeping the weight centralized would also
be best for sailing. steering under sail using sail balance with or
without a rudder does not require sitting near the end.

as can be seen in photos on my website I sit on the bottom and use a
backrest when sailing. I pulled a back muscle trying to sail sitting on
the bottom without a backrest. the backrest is positioned so my weight is
centralized in the boat. I'd sail for a while without a backrest until
body position for good balance is known. on the 7.5 ft boat the backrest
is a permanent aft deck. on the 11.5 ft boat the backrest is removable and
rotates to change the angle. TF Jones uses a rope and canvas backrest on
his Tuckahoe 12 narrow sailiboat which he sails sitting on the bottom.
sitting on the bottom (on a cushion) keeps the weight low and is less
tiring than sitting up and moving one's weight around all the time to
compensate for the sail. I don't have enough sail on my boats to sit out
on the gunwale but that is how to get more speed and excitement out of the
sailing if desired. I've seen photos of canoe sailors sitting out over the
side just like other small boat sailors.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm