Tamaroak

Ditto on everything Evan said. The only phone service I got with Verizon
was in Prince Rupert. Nothing else in all of BC and Alaska.

We went from Port Hardy, as the trip from Seattle to Port Hardy is
another adventure all in itself, with lots of big water and wild
currents. It took us six weeks to get to Sitka and back, and we didn't
loaf nearly enough. We cruise at 20 knots and it took 11 days to get to
Sitka. Make sure to allow time to wait for good weather at places like
Queen Charlotte Straight and Dixon Entrance.

There's always weather available on the VHF. Also you can get on the
radio and ask for a report from someone who is out where you're going.
The VHF almost always worked, but sometimes not in the little
steep-sided inlets. And sometimes there is no one else out there. Have a
406 EPIRB. Get some cruising guides to help you through the winter; they
have lots of good hints. Know your boat; get a GPS chartplotter (I
recommend the Garmin 182C.).

Anchoring is somewhat of a challenge with the 20+' tides. I recommend a
SPADE. Let it out and leave it alone rather than backing down on it
right away seemed to work best for us.

We're from Minnesota and trailered from here.

Capt. Jeff