P.C. Ford

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:28:24 -0400, "Ron" wrote:

I'm getting it.

On a 16 1/2 foot canoe I could put the sail 2 -5 feet from the bow and then
try to balance it by moving the leeboard fore or aft. I hope to sail with
camping gear or more likely, kids. What might be the effects of weight in
the canoe and sail placement?

Very important. With such a tiny draft movement with the boat can even
make the boat come about. A traditional boat in the Northeast,
(Thousand Islands area, I'm spacing the name.) was sailed without a
rudder. Coming about was accomplished by movement within the boat.

Good luck with your experiments. Sailing canoes were very popular in
the 19th century. Don't understand why they are not more popular now.
Myself, I would rather sail than paddle!!