Ken Ferschweiler

Steven Murch ) wrote:
: Hi Gene,

: I just got my compass, the same , 70P for my Romany 16. I went out and got
: 4 # 4 machine screws 3/4" for the nut, with #4 washers and a nylon nut also
: a #4. I also got the # 4 machine screw 1/2" to minimize the steel to the
: compass if the 3/4" are too long. The screws that came with the compass are
: #4 1/2". I had to search around town for the #4 hardware but was very lucky
: to find them. I'll use a marine glue for the drill holes. I think the
: drill holes will be 7/64. I would not go up to a #6 hardware. As crazy as
: it may seem; its more steel to the compass. I was thinking of going without
: the washers to keep steel away form the compass.

It's not difficult to find machine screws in 316 stainless, which is
pretty close to non-magnetic (but not perfect; anybody had a problem
with stainless screws upsetting a compass?).

-Ken

: On the Romany 16, I drilled holes to move the rope cleat aft and no drips
: with marine glue.

: Good luck.

: Steve
: Wilmington, NC