Tony Thomas

Don't drop the engine too far. The cavitation plate should be at water
level or above. Definetly not below.

You might consider a whale tail after trying the prop. They really do help
if the prop does not completely do it.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:55:42 GMT, "Tony Thomas"
wrote:

I assume the pitch is the same on both (23) and I assume the material is

the
same (I hope SS for this application).

Exactly.

The smaller diameter is to compensate for the extra blade surface of the

4
blades vs 3. This will allow you to maintain the correct rpms on top
end/wot.

That's what I figured.

Otherwise you would see a drop in rpms and speed or you would have to go

a lower pitch which would still mean a drop in speed.

The 4 blade will be a better prop for this application assuming my
assumption above is correct.

I was guessing, but that was my thinking on the subject - the main
problem with this boat is that the COG has changed somewhat with the
addition of a T-top. The result is that the boat has a problem at
speed in a heavy chop - the current prop, the 14 1/2 x 23, doesn't
push the boat through the chop properly at any trim angle and it tends
to pound and in certain wave conditions, the prop will cavitate.

The idea, in this case, was to add some extra punch to the prop by
changing diameter and adding a blade to give some extra grab via the
extra blade.

I'm also thinking that dropping the engine another notch or so to keep
the cavitation plate in the water would be a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Later,

Tom