Rodney Myrvaagnes

There is another J36 at our marina, which has a fixed prop. It is
astonishingly slower than our boat. I know the sails aren't identical,
but we have caught them going to windward when we didn't even have a
jib hoisted.

Their bottom is cleaner or as clean.On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 05:02:39 GMT,
"Paul L" wrote:

Its real easy to test, as I can get my folding 3 blade to stay open. I can
see the boat speed, then have it fold and measure the speed. It is
significant. If the MIT tests say otherwise then they are not testing
reality - wanna guess what errors they made in the test or you in the
interpretation??.

Paul
www.jcruiser.org
"JAXAshby" wrote in message
You will definitely will see a decent speed improvement under sail with a
folding prop

no, you won't. folding props only hve value for racing boats, where 2
seconds
a mile means the difference between 2nd place and 6th.

According to MIT tests, a folding prop means a savings of a mere 170
pounds
drag at 5 knots (or 40 pounds drag at 2-1/2 knots, or 10 pounds drag at
1-1/4
knots) over a --------- three ------------ blade prop. ***Much*** less
with
compared to a two-blade, and even less compared to a two-blade rotated
verticle
behind the keel.

Wanna guess just how much powered is required to pull 170# at 5 knots?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

We have achieved faith-based science,
faith-based economics, faith-based law
enforcement, and faith-based missile
defense.
What's next? Faith-based air traffic control?