Glenn Ashmore

JAXAshby wrote:
glenn, just where is it you found you "facts" that "a medium displacement boat"
has 2,866.66666666 pounds of drag?

From the VPP diagrams and backup data on my boat, the VPP for a
Beneteau First 47, C.A. Marchaj's "Sail Performance" and working
backwards from Dave Gerr's figures. The VPPs were run with standard and
Gori folding 3 bladed props and showed from 12 to 15% increased speeds
with the folding props up to about 80% of the first reef point.

20 miles a day is a 15% improvement on a base 5.6 knot cruising speed
and you are correct that folding props make the most difference in light
air.

Reducing drag has the advantage over adding sail area in that it does
not add to heeling moment.

BTW, Gori, Martec, Brunton/Varifold and others make 3 blade folders.
Volvo even makes a 4 bladed folder.

Now, you can continue to rant and make an ass of yourself as usual but
that is all I have to say about it.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com