John Fereira

(Jake Janovetz) wrote in
om:

I use a 230cm two-piece with my Coho which is about a 23" beam. I'm
also 6'1". My girlfriend bought a 220cm paddle (she's 5'8") and
prefers mine.

I haven't the slightest idea what is "correct" though. I just know
what is comfortable. I lose a lot of power when I try her 220cm
paddle, but the paddles are different in more respects than just
shaft-length.

Just to add another data point, I'm 5'8", own kayaks that are 21", 22", and
23" wide and use a 220cm paddle for all of them. I've been using the paddle
for six years though and as my stroke has changed my next paddle will most
likely be a 215cm or so. I've paddled with a a 210cm paddle and like it
fine for a forward stroke but prefer a little extra length for bracing and
ruddering strokes.