Doug Kanter

Default Italy furious- Navy cover(-ed) up sub accident

"Vaughn" wrote in message

The point I was trying to make is that the first incident took some

ten
years to make it into the press, the second incident made the trip from
secrecy to public knowledge in only days. Secrecy is supposed to be a

basic
part of the submarine culture; what happened?

Sounds to me like the incident involved nothing but outrageous human error.
No need for secrecy. The Navy discovered a couple of knuckleheads and fired
them. Have you ever read the book "Big Red"? Write spent time on a sub, in
the past few years if I recall. Everyone on the boat seemed to be concerned
100% of the time about every detail of operating safety, and I think this
filters down from the highest levels of the Navy. I think the Navy is very
attentive not only to the safety of its people and of the ocean it occupies,
but also to the image it presents to the world.

Having said that, they need to find a compromise for testing their high
energy sonar, which seems to mess with whales big-time. :-)