Wayne.B

Default Speaking of Salmon Fishing

On 13 Nov 2003 15:36:20 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:
Well, we disagree on that point. It *would* be misleading to describe the boat,
quote a price and conveniently forget to mention that the figure doesn't
include engines. However, that isn't how the article reads.

That wouldn't be misleading, it would be totally inaccurate.
Misleading, to me, is more subtle, an attempt to shape perception by
shading information in a way to make it look more favorable.

C-Dory recommends Honda engines, but a buyer is free to specify any brand of
engine and C-Dory will rig the boat accordingly. Since there are any number of
engines a buyer *could* choose, the price with engiens will be all over the
map. The perspective is that there are at least two separate shopping
decisions, the boat is one- the engines another- and maybe a trailer for the
third.

That is true, but when you present a detailed review of a boat, with
detailed performance and configuration information, the natural
question for an interested reader is: "How much is that going to cost
me?".

Unfortunately you don't provide an answer, and that is my issue. I
think it's reasonable for the reader to expect an approximate "as
tested" price, and I don't think the manufacturer should have a
problem with you providing one. It's the manufacturer's job to sell
boats, your job is to sell magazines (and advertising of course).