Jake Janovetz

I use a 230cm two-piece with my Coho which is about a 23" beam. I'm
also 6'1". My girlfriend bought a 220cm paddle (she's 5'8") and
prefers mine.

I haven't the slightest idea what is "correct" though. I just know
what is comfortable. I lose a lot of power when I try her 220cm
paddle, but the paddles are different in more respects than just
shaft-length.

The try-before-you-buy method is always best but sometimes
inconvenient. Most mail-order places will allow you to ship it back
if you don't like it (no wear). Try a 230cm and replace it if you
don't like it.

Jake

Anyway, it seems like my 230 Lendl is pretty nice, maybe a tad long. I
have a 220 Streuer that I'm borrowing that seems short. But I really
haven't been seakayak paddling that much. I'm 6'1" with 30-31" torso. My
boat has a 20" beam---Seda Glider knockoff striper. Extremely cool, fast
boat.

I have a chance to buy a new 2-piece: 230 or 220: which length to go
for?

Much of what I read on paddles these days hints that 220 might be the
ticket. Less fatigue, higher cadence. The shop rat showing me the
paddles is my size, is pushing the 220, says that's what he uses.

I'm a terrible shopper. I hate choices.