LaBomba182

Subject: fuel use for sailboats

Cruising sailboats and powerboats have very different ideas on fuel
use and the needs of the sailboat are rarely addressed. For example,
most powerboaters are very concerned about the overall cost of the
fuel they use primarily because they use a LOT of fuel. Cruising
sailboats are not terribly concerned about the overall cost of their
fuel because they will always use a small amount.
Most sailboats have a smaller engine for their displacement than a
powerboat because their primary power is supplied by free wind.
However, fuel use (hp/liter or hp/ounce) and overall power sometimes
are important for a sailboat. A long distance cruiser can only carry
a small amount of fuel and if he has a long period of no or contrary
wind, he might want to be able to motor for a long time with little
regard for the cost of the small amount of fuel. He might consider it
rreasonable to pay a premium for a fuel that was formulated to produce
more more power for ounce of fuel burned even if that fuel was twice
as expensive as conventional fuel. So, are fuel additives available
that would effectively increase the hp/ounce of fuel burned even if
they greatly increase the overall fuel cost? Would octane boosters
help (or cetane boosters)?
A related issue is that most sailboats have a fairly small engine
intended only to get the boat up to hull speed in calm water. Putting
in a larger engine would be considered wasteful because then the boat
would have to always carry around that heavier engine even when it
wasnt needed. Is it possible to temporarily increase the power
outpuit of a small engine by some means, perhaps a blower, a turbo or
even using NOS? This might give the sailboat the ability to better
motor off a lee shore in strong winds, motor against a strong running
tide, etc. I am primarily interested in times when it is a safety
issue, not for convenience so potential engine damage might be
acceptable.
Any ideas?

From:
(Parallax)

I am very aware of the limitations on hull speed. What I mean is that
sometimes an engine that will enable you to achieve hull speed in calm
water will only allow you to do half in wind or current. The idea is
to get more power to achieve nearly hull speed for short time when
conditions are such that you would otherwise be going slow. I rarely
buy my diesel at a marina as I dont ever seem to be near a marina.
Normally, I buy fuel and carry it to my boat. In this case, getting a
NOS canister would be reasonable. I agree, NOS simply adds extra
oxygen allowing more fuel to be burned thus producing more power.
Although I have used starting ether when I lived in WY in winter, I do
not think it adds any power, it is simply an easily ignited gas to get
the motor turning.

I am also aware of what octane does and I simply used it as an example
of an additive. My question is, are there additives available, sucha
s long chain hydrocarbons that would give more power than just gas
even though the additive might be very expensive

These are two of the funniest troll posts I have read in a long time. LMAO

Hell, he even sucked jaxas in. LOL

Capt. Bill