Parallax

(JAXAshby) wrote in message ...
thanks, gune, for looking that up. it will save me retyping. unfortunately,
airplane mechanics usually don't have the native candle power to understand the
basics, so it is lost on them.

From: Gene Kearns

Date: 8/24/2004 8:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time
On 24 Aug 2004 16:26:07 -0700,
(Parallax)
wrote:

SNIPS

A related issue is that most sailboats have a fairly small engine
intended only to get the boat up to hull speed in calm water. Putting
in a larger engine would be considered wasteful because then the boat
would have to always carry around that heavier engine even when it
wasnt needed.
Any ideas?

Certainly.... Jaxashby... on par with Steven Hawking and Albert
Einstein, says you are all wet.... he says,

"Most recreational sailboats made in the last 40 years will exceed
"hull speed" without any heavy lifting, and Hobie cats will go 3x
"hull speed" or more.

Some would argue that those hulls are planing, though plainly that is
not the case.

btw, mathematically the extra effort needed "to climb the bow wave" is
zero at "hull speed" and still doesn't amount to all that much at 2x
"hull speed".

the THEORY is not theory at all, but oft repeated hearsay."

Full text available at:
http://tinyurl.com/4ymdg

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Southport, NC.

http://myworkshop.idleplay.net/cavern/ Homepage
http://www.southharbourvillageinn.com/directions.asp Where Southport,NC
is located.
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats Rec.boats
at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide

I am very aware of the limitations on hull speed. What I mean is that
sometimes an engine that will enable you to achieve hull speed in calm
water will only allow you to do half in wind or current. The idea is
to get more power to achieve nearly hull speed for short time when
conditions are such that you would otherwise be going slow. I rarely
buy my diesel at a marina as I dont ever seem to be near a marina.
Normally, I buy fuel and carry it to my boat. In this case, getting a
NOS canister would be reasonable. I agree, NOS simply adds extra
oxygen allowing more fuel to be burned thus producing more power.
Although I have used starting ether when I lived in WY in winter, I do
not think it adds any power, it is simply an easily ignited gas to get
the motor turning.

I am also aware of what octane does and I simply used it as an example
of an additive. My question is, are there additives available, sucha
s long chain hydrocarbons that would give more power than just gas
even though the additive might be very expensive