noah

Default Another try: rec.boats ON-topic

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 13:05:59 GMT, bb wrote:

On 7 Nov 2003 02:57:06 -0600, noah
wrote:

There has been some additional discussion lately about the amount of
off-topic posting in this group.

When I first approached this issue, I received about 12 emails from
"lurkers", 4 from names I recognized, and 1 from a person I considered
a "Regular". All these emails supported some control in rec.boats.

I'll try another suggestion here. How about a group, within the
group, that agree to abide by some rules of decency? OT posts are not
the problem, but the behavior that follows. Obviously, most here
enjoy talking about things other than boats, but most don't enjoy the
venom in those posts.

If there was a group within the group that agreed to abide by some
code of conduct, and agreed to ignore the fringe group that's only
here to stir things up, it might at least reduce the noise to ideas
ratio.

Just a few simple rules, like no personal attacks, refrain from
blanket condemnation of "the other side", minimize profanity. I don't
know for sure, but it seems like just a few changes in the conduct of
debates would help a whole lot.

Certainly there are many intelligent, thoughtful people on the group
who can rationally debate without the need for the petty bickering.
The few who like to do nothing more than flame away will die off if
they are ignored.

Anyway, just a thought. You never know, it might have some value.
I've seen it work in another venue.

If it goes any farther, I'll leave it up to noah to police.

bb

bb,

What you descscribe can be accomplished through a "new", officially
adopted, FAQ.

It does require a submission to the "powers that be", and a vote.

I do love this group, but I do not want to be "police". My opinion is
no better than anyone else's. It would be good, in my opinion, if the
group controlled itself.

Regards,
noah

To email me, remove the "OT-" from wrecked.ot-boats.noah.
....as you were. )