Vaughn

Default Italy furious- Navy cover(-ed) up sub accident

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Vaughn" wrote in message

By the way, I remember an incident from my own Navy days when a
submarine returned very early from a deployment after an underwater
collision with a submarine from another country. It was 10 years later
before I read about that incident in the press. They don't call the
submarine nave the "silent service" for nothing. What happened?

Vaughn

The article says the Navy fired the men in charge. I suspect that if they
considered this a minor incident, they would've debriefed and then quietly
shuffled the men off to a different assignment, in much the same way

priests
are sent to another parish by the Catholic church.

With this in mind, I'd say the locals have every right to be concerned.

It's
one thing for a sub to tap a ship it's trying to tail in complete silence,
as part of a usual cat & mouse games which are a necessary part of their
function. It's a whole 'nother thing for a sub captain to crash into a
stationary chunk of earth which is NOT trying to evade the sub. That says
"incompetent", or maybe worse.

The point I was trying to make is that the first incident took some ten
years to make it into the press, the second incident made the trip from
secrecy to public knowledge in only days. Secrecy is supposed to be a basic
part of the submarine culture; what happened?

Vaughn