Just Us

"Tim" wrote in message
m...
Hello,
I need to lower the mast on my space sailer 22 (22ft masthead
keelboat) (see earlier messages regarding halyards). I have had
experience doing this on larger yachts (30 and 32 ft) but they involve
some pretty heavy masts. On those boats the technique was to set up an
A-frame using 2 spinnaker poles and lower backwards using substantial
tackles from a winch.

For a 22 foot boat, do you think the A-frame and large tackle will be
needed? Would it be sufficient to lower the mast using a simpler 2
part purchase and just support it when it is down by hand (I have a
cradle etc but seeing as I am taking the mast off I will just get
someone to unbolt it once it is down and held)??

Looking at the mast it doesn't seem that heavy but having no
experience with doing this on a boat this small it is hard to tell.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tim

I have a 25ft boat with a 35ft mast that I lower and raise all the time
(trailering).
I use a rope from the winch on my trailer to top of mast and 2 ropes to each
side to keep the mast from going left or right.
The two side ropes will need to shortened as mast comes down.
A 35ft mast gets real heavy the closer it gets to the ground, and I do mean
heavy.
Use good (new) rope and do not let anyone stand around.