Wayne.B

On 25 Aug 2004 02:48:26 -0700, (Tim)
wrote:
I need to lower the mast on my space sailer 22 (22ft masthead
keelboat) (see earlier messages regarding halyards). I have had
experience doing this on larger yachts (30 and 32 ft) but they involve
some pretty heavy masts. On those boats the technique was to set up an
A-frame using 2 spinnaker poles and lower backwards using substantial
tackles from a winch.

For a 22 foot boat, do you think the A-frame and large tackle will be
needed?

The usual technique on small boats is for one person to secure the
mast butt while another person walks it back as it comes down, sort of
like raising or lowering a long ladder. If you have a hinged and
pinned mast step it could probably be done with one person.

This may seem obvious but watch out for power lines.