Short Wave Sportfishing

On 24 Aug 2004 09:07:13 -0700, (Marko) wrote:

I recently had a post asking if I should go with the 40hp or 50hp
Honda. Thanks to those who responded, I'm going with the bigger motor.

I have since done more research and have come across this thing called
EFI. My gut tells me to stick with the Honda, but the "EFI hype" seems
real. My dealer carries Mercury and Johnson EFI 4-strokes. Should I
consider those or should I just stick with Honda reliability? I've
been thinking a lot about the Mercury 60hp EFI. It's the same size as
the Merc 50 so I might as well jump up to the 60. Of course I'll have
to consider cost before making a final decision.

That's a good question.

EFI is a little more efficient than carb motors if that helps any.
Throttle reponse is better and they are a little more quiet than
carbed motors.

Having said that, the first instinct is usually the best one - if you
feel that you will be happier with the Honda, then that's the motor
for you. It's not a motor that I would buy (I'm not daming with faint
praise here - I have a Honda lawn mower and generator motor I love it)
only because there aren't a lot of competant Honda mechanics around
here and I've heard tales, none that I can substantiate (I want to
make that clear), that getting technical support for a Honda outboard
can be frustrating at the least.

When I had my little "incident" this summer up in the St. Lawrence
Seaway, the USCG bots had Hondas (225's) and I have to say they had
some real accelleration and were vewy, vewy quiet on the way back to
the marina.

Ah hell - go with the Honda.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653