Shawn

all fixed folks and thanks. I have removed the lead which was completely
unnecessary in a displacement cruiser and it is sitting more level and I
think steers a little sweeter in a following sea. Thanks all.

Shawn
"Scallywag"

"Terry Spragg" wrote in message
rs.com...
Me wrote:
In article s.com,
"rock_doctor" wrote:

Placing lead in the bow of a boat is a relatively common practice.
Especially with large boats. The lead helps keep the boat sitting level

and
helps it plane easier with smaller engines. I had a 68' Luhrs Sport
fisherman with a 318 Chrysler crown and it had a little over 500lbs of

lead
in the bow. You can remove it but will find the boat will not be as

stable
in rough water and will not plane as easily. I would leave it and if

you
are concerned with it moving around then pour some A/B foam around it.

That
stuff is so "sticky" it now use as an adhesive in some applications...

mark

Hey Mark,
The guy said "Displacement Cruiser"! That means it DOESN'T plane.

me who actually reads the posts first......

Who snips the Q so nobody can use the thread, except avec toi, eh?

And complains, instead of contributing. Talk about me, me, me.

Lowering the bow may raise the transom reducing suction behind it,
feeding a prop a little better and lengthening the waterline a
little, especially with a swept stem.

My row boat, a 14' cartop Alumi, goes easier with the mate in the
bow than in the stern thwarts.

Terry K