Kelton Joyner

William,
I have a mount for my GPS in the steering pedestal. I mounted a four
terminal block inside the pedestal and wired +battery and -battery to
the block.
1. The four wire Garmin cable is connected to the block ( +, -, data in,
data out ).
2. A two wire cable is connected to the block ( -, data out )and routed
into the instrument pod and connected to the autopilot NMEA - and +
terminals.
3. From the terminal block I ran a four conductor cable down to my
navstation area. I installed another four terminal block there and
connected the cable to the block.
4. The VHF radio acessory cable GPS data in and - are connected to the
block ( Garmin data out and - ).
5. The Pactor IIe cable to the HF radio is a "Y" cable (available from
Faralon Electronics). The "Y" had a DB9 connector. I made a DB9 pigtail
cable and connected the data in and - to the block ( Garmin data out and
- ).
6. I made a another DB9 pigtail to connect to the computer. Data in an -
to Garmin data out and -.
7. I also connected second Garmin data cable to the block so that I
could remove the GPS from the pedestal and use it at the navstation
(usefull when planning routes and uploading them to the GPS).

Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

William G. Andersen wrote:

Kelton,
You seem to have done what I want to do. How did you physically connect one
Garmin to four devices? What parts/connections did you buy?

"Kelton Joyner" wrote in message

The manual with my Garmin GPS48 states that it will drive 4 listeners. I
have it connected to the autopilot NMEA input, VHF DSC input, computer
input, and Pactor IIe input. Works OK.All devices get and process the
GPS NMEA sentences.
Kelton
s/v Isle Escape

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:50:12 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Lisa,
NMEA interfaces are slow and bit serial (EIA RS-232). The protocol is

very

basic and there is no provision for either addressing or data

collisions. As

you stated, your solution is incorrect, the device to use is called a
statmux or statistical multiplexor in general. Specifically, there are
multiplexors available for this purpose that prevent data collisions and
allow orderly sentence broadcast. Contact a qualified nav equipment

dealer

for further info. These devices are inexpensive and available.
Steve

Since Lisa was only proposing a single "talker" a mux is superfluous.
No collisions could occur. The only issue is whether the two loads
would reduce the signal too much.

But, since you mention it, where are there inexpensive muxes? I had
one once until it was hit by lightning, but it was very expensive at
the time.

Thanks

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to

meet a duck because you like pate."

Margaret Atwood