Terry Spragg

Chuck Baier wrote:
I have just recently purchased a Honda EU1000 generator to use at the
dock when the power goes out during storm conditions. In using a
circuit tester I have found the unit has power on both the hot side
and the neutral side of the plug. This sets off the reverse polarity
light on my AC panel. Is this normal or do I have a problem with this
unit. Thanks, Chuck

You should not expect to be able to make accurate measurements
between the shore power and the generator output unless you have an
arrangement set up to ensure phase lock synchronisation between the
shore power and the generator exciter. This is not a common option.

Whithout sync the AC frequencies will not be in step, and voltage
measurements between the two systems are misleading, even downright
confusing.

If shore power fails and then you start the gen and switch power
plugs all would likely be fine, try it and see. If you want auto
startup and switchover, sync is not normally an issue, because a
regrigerator or a radio won't care much. The only time you would
expect to see coherent readings is if you had a hot running standby
generator set up to switchover either in sync, or at zero phase
switchover which removes the possibility of a power bump, providing
a clean power switchover. Such a system is overkill for most
consumer applications. A hot standby battery - inverter UPS is
better cost effectiveness for sensitive computer operations. It will
maintain a constant output ac frequency without phase lock during
main power failure and generator startup, because it provides an
independant ac source for critical equipment all the time. Note:
this power is not garaunteed to be in sync with main power source
from hydro either, without a similar complicated synchronised setup.

If you don't know about phase power technicalities, please consult a
professional.

Terry K