Butch Ammon

Default Coastie Tales

Any one with a Coastie story, please post. The more amusing, the better!

I have a doozy and it deals with the CG Aux too....

As you know I'm retired USCG (Yeoman 1st Class). In the early/mid 80's I
worked for the 9th District Boating Auxiliary, in the eastern region
detachment, Buffalo, NY.

Well, let me say this about the Auxiliary... They are the most nicely people
around and man, can they PARTY!!! We all went to an Aux Conference in
Cleveland, OH one year... It was no big deal, it's a nice drive from Buffalo,
NY... Me being a young, 23/24 yr old Coastie, I was pretty wild back then in
my single days. I brought along my guitar to the conference for something to
do at night in the hotel room. Well, long story short, I ended up getting
plastered courtesy of the CG Aux and the mixed drinks that they made. They
were all fine and enjoying themselves, but I was absolutely SMASHED!!

From this point on, things are fuzzy and I don't remember, but legend has it, I
left the Auxiliary party at about 10:00pm, went back up to my room. About an
hour later, I was found walking all around the hotel floors, playing my guitar
and singing at the top of my lungs! {serious embarrassment here, folks!} A
bunch of the CG Auxiliary men found me, picked me up, and carried me to back to
my room. They put my guitar away and put me in my bed.

The CG Aux could have turned a blind eye and let me get kicked out of the hotel
or arrested for drunk and disorderly conduct. But they looked after me like I
was one of their own kids, which was very nice.

The next morning, my head felt like it weighed 50 pounds. None of the CG Aux
mentioned that last night incident to me, and just let me get over my wicked
hangover. Later on in the afternoon, they sat down with me and told me
everything. They helped me and I really appreciated it. Even though they
thought it was hysterical, they didn't laugh at me.

God Bless you, USCG Auxiliary!!!!

Butch Ammon
YN1, USCG (Ret.)