Bart Senior

"DSK" wrote
Bart Senior wrote:
These are people who probably don't know how to sail. If they
learned on small boats they would understand how powerful the
wind really is.

I think that's a BIG issue. Most of these people don't know how to sail
a small boat (ie *really* sail) and don't want to learn; but I also
think there is the issue of not spending very much time on their boat
and not spending much money on their boat. OTOH I feel that if one
cannot afford to spend fifty or a hundred bucks on new dock lines, or
unwilling to, then one probably can't (or should not attempt to) afford
the boat.

I need new dock lines. For me it is a matter of time to splice them up
with thimbles and shackles. Also, I haven't decided if I want to keep the
boat bow in or stern in. With a 46' boat in a 40' slip, this is a big
consideration. I built a finger dock, but I'll need to extend it a ways
to be useful. Chances are I'll make up the new dock lines and then
decide to change everything around--that's boating. And it's probably
good seamanship to be willing to make necessary changes no matter
what the cost.

Ainslie just one a Finn race. Awesome wind in Athens. 25 knots and
gorgeous. Oh crap, now they are showing badminton! Time to change
the channel.

Then there's the guy with a lavishly equipped Colin Archer type of forty
feet or so, who sent his daughter and son-in-law who know nothing about
seamanship and care less, to secure the boat for the hurricane. Spent
some time helping them too, the son-in-law said that the old boy would
be better off watching Popeye cartoons. His boat was lavish but
dishevelled & disorganized, an accident waiting to happen (but for
different reasons).

I feel like that sometimes. I have 50 things to do.