Larry Cable

"J. A. M."

Typed in Message-ID:

So, what I have seen, and read, is that experienced river runners tend to
down grade a river.

JAM

Not at all, I am just stating a realistic view of the difficulty of this rive.
Rafting companies do tend to dramatize the difficulty rating, bu there is
nothing class V about the Lower Gauley. With the exception of Mash and Pure
Screaming Hell, most of the rapids are very straight forward. Even the rapid
that started this thread, Gates of Heaven, only requires that you miss a hole
on the right and not let your boat get pushed too far to the left at the
bottom, it just a matter of paddling down the middle. Big waves don't increase
the difficulty rating on a river.
SYOTR
Larry C.