Wayne.B

Default Speaking of Salmon Fishing

On 13 Nov 2003 04:26:55 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:
(Posting these here usually brings out a few flamers, and there's been so much
hateful spite posted to the group lately that I guess I'm offering this "on
topic" item against my better judgment. Sorry to all if it brings out the worst
in a few folks, this is not intended to be a troll.)

Chuck, I enjoy your boat reviews but feel obliged to comment once in a
while in the interest of journalistic accuracy. Sorry if that
offends, but at least you know someone is paying attention. :-)
And believe me, this is not my "worst", not even close.

First point is minor but oft repeated in the marine press: Boat
speeds for salt water boats should be quoted in knots, not mph. Who
says? I do, it's just common practice to do salt water navigation in
nautical miles, and that's how speed should be quoted also. A cynic
would say that manufacturers like their mph numbers better because
they are 15% faster. Some boats need that boost to look respectable
but not this one.

Second point, it is unrealistic (and misleading) to review the boat
with a specific engine configuration, and then quote a price at the
end of the article with out engines. I'm guessing that the price as
tested was at least $70,000. That's quite a jump from $49,999 or
whatever. Even the car magazines, which are not exactly a bastion of
impartiality, quote prices "as tested". If they can do it, you can
too.

Minor quibbles perhaps but repeated so often throughout the marine
press that it is hardly coincidence. And in the end, it only casts
suspicions upon the reviewers motives and their relationships with the
manufacturers.