Jeff Morris

I checked my Apelco 510, and indeed, the only thing holding the cover on the
battery pack is a circlip on the long screw that attaches the pack to the radio.
I didn't bother to glue it back together, so its not water proof. Thinking
about it, I'm pretty sure I used a pair of cordless phone 3-packs, which are
just three AA cells wired together. There are labeled something like "3.6 Volts
700 mAh". GE and ATT phones used them, as well as a number of others.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
There is indeed a "You-do-it Electronics." However, its a storefront a few
miles from where I live, and their website is less than complete.
http://www.youdoitelectronics.com

Radio Shack carries a AA NiCad with a tab, 600 mAh, for $8.39, catalog #

23-191.
This seems pricey, so you might check around. Since you can get 4 1000 mAh
batteries for about $12, you might try soldering without the tabs. Frankly I
can't remember what I did, and I don't want to open the pack to find out!
However, I doubt I paid $50 for the 6 required cells. (Did I use a pair of
those cordless phone 3-packs? Maybe, that would be about $20 total, with most
of the wiring already done.)

I don't remember how I opened the pack, but if I remember when I visit the

boat
tomorrow, I'll look. I seem to remember that it involved the "thumbscrew" the
holds the pack to the radio, plus prying off the base, and some sticky
insulation. Once opened, its all pretty obvious. There is a little gadget

that
probably shuts it off when it overheats - make sure you note how that was

placed
so it will go together the same way.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I can tell you that my success rate with "it
already dead, I can't make it worse" projects is not that great, so if I could
do this one, it can't be too demanding.

BTW, the 510 may have been billed as "waterproof" but its not submersible, as
the newer units are.

-jeff

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Jeff,

You've done exactly what I want, i.e. I recently acquired an Apelco
VHF510 [supposedly water-proof, I don't know] but the battery is dead
and W.Marine wants about $65 for a new one. No way.

Is there actually a "You-Do-It" electronics ? If so how do I get in
touch. We have Radio Shack, of course.

After getting the AA NiCADs with tabs, what then exactly did you do ?

Appreciatively,

Courtney

Jeff Morris wrote:

You should be able to get NiCad's with the small tabs on them. I think I

got
mine at Radio Shack (but it might have been You-Do-It electronics). I was

able
to bring my Apelco VHF back to life and its now a nice backup.

Actually,
this
is a third life, since it had a one hour bath, courtesy of our little

daughter.
This is a "weather resistant" model, not water proof, but with a few hours

of
TLC, and a few weeks of drying, it came back to life.

Opening each pack is different - sometimes labels cover a screw, others

need
gentle prying around the edges. Inside is usually just AA NiCad's

soldered
together.

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message

Having several devices using these "packs", and seeing the prices on
buying new packs; I was wondering if there is any way to safely rebuild
these things and save some money.

Are there simply individual batteries inside plugged into the pack or what

?

How can you open the packs without damage, if possible ?

I realize disposal is a problem.

Gratefully,
Courtney
--