Doug Dotson

If cooling the drinks fast is your goal thaen this approach will work.
But once the ice has melted, then the refrigeration will be working
much harder than usual to keep both the drinks and the large volume
of water cold. Better to turn on the fridge, add the drinks and ice
but let the water drain off as it melts.

Doug
s/v Callista

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
On our recent BVI cruise I started thinking about cockpit drink coolers.
The beneteau 505 has a very poorly insulated cooler in the cockpit
table that is a total waste of ice. RUTU, being derived from a modern
high performance design, has a very wide fairly shallow cockpit. It
will need foot rests to keep braced in the seats on a heel. I am
thinking about building a perminent heavily insulated box down the
center. It could also be used as a seat at anchor when the table is
folded up and the cushion would serve as additional insulation.

Now the question is how to keep it cold. I am thinking that a small
evaporator type system would work. Drinks cool fastest in water so
stocking originally with drinks and ice would provide the water. Once
the ice melts the evaporator would maintain the temperature and the
water would serve as a heat sink.

What I am worried about is that the aluminum evaporator would corrode
rather quickly constantly submerged in water. I am wondering if several
loops of copper tube might make a better evaporator.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com