DSK

Default Backstay hydraulic tensioner

Valeria Dal Monte wrote:

I have this old hydraulic backstay tensioner (approx. 1980) but I have no
idea of what it is. Apparently it is not one of the more common brands.
Do you have any suggestion?

It is a fairly simple machine with few moving parts, the job should be easy
to get your backstay tensioner working again. Finding the correct parts might
not be so simple.

The most common problem is leaking hydraulic fluid. It may need a shaft or
sleeve seal, which most likely is a rubber or soft plastic O-ring. The
control valve may be leaking, which would allow the tensioner to slowly (or
not so slowly) lose it's tension without any apparent leaks on the outside of
the cylinder.

If you get a big pan, you can take the tensioner apart without getting
hydraulic fluid all over everything. Then you can get a good idea what parts
are needed. Often, hydraulic fluid gets a little water in it which corrodes
interior parts. The valves & inside wall of the cylinder can be lapped &
polished; although it may be easier to replace the valves.

Your picture did not come through. Would you consider posting it at
www.webshots.com and posting a link to the picture here? We could give better
advice after seeing it.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King