Shawn

Default dripless seal - leaking

I have a so called dripless seal on my prop shaft on a 30ft Halvorsen Island
Gypsy. Ford 120 hp. All good until 1800 RPM and the thing dribbles like a
tap. Under 1800 RPM dry again. Had a hell of a time finding the leak. Not
much fun down the the bilge beside a 7 litre diesel at 1800 RPM ;-)
Interestingly the seal has a small water inlet line from the exhaust into
the seal for lubrication - this is a standard feature apparently. The whole
thing looks a bit fragile and fussy to me with only a single hose clamp
holding the rotating rubber seal to the shaft and up against the stationery
"female" part of the seal - I think I'll put an old time stuffing box back
on. Any advice?

thanks Shawn
"Scallywag"