--== Dave ==--

Default '76 Mercruiser 3.0L. Oil type? Brand?

Gonna change the oil in the old 3L tomorrow. Already bought the $10 filter
from the dealer but can I use another brand of 30WT besides the Quick$ilver
stuff? Sheesh, Mobil1 Syn is cheaper than the dealers QS lube. I seriously
doubt that the QS lube is more superior that Mobil 1 (Maybe for this Marine
application). Can I just use a quality name brand like Castrol 30WT? Or
will I severely mess my engine up? It's already got a cracked block (JB
Weld rules) and the last 2 cylinders will hydrolock once in a while if I
don't run the water out before I put it up for the week (Gaskets or crack..
Dunno). It runs great. Hull is great. Outdrive was rebuilt 2 years
ago. Figure I will maintain the engine as best as I can cheaply till she
blows then rebuild it or put a used one in. Been running since 1976 so
might as well change the fluids more often. Just don't wanna pay the extra
$$ if I don't need to.

Thanks!

-Dave