Gary Warner

Default Proposed mandatory PFD law

Ah - so such things as seat belt laws, driving lights, air bags and
helmet laws are rational reactions to the amount of traffic deaths,
but PFDs are not a rational reaction to the stats on boating accidents
& drownings?

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm just curious.

Personally I think seat belt laws and helmet laws are wrong. The only people
that
get hurt by not wearing a seat belt or helmet is the person making that
choice. It's
up to them. ~ Sure their families might be "hurt" too but it's up to them.

As for air bags, I'm of mixed mind. On the one hand I believe it's up to the
consumer
to decide if they want to buy them (pay for them) and/or use them. But with
an industry as large as cars I can see the point of view that says many auto
makers
would never even offer them as an option if it wasn't the law.

Driving lights? Not sure what you mean. But driving lights being on at the
proper
times save OTHER people, not just the guy that uses/doesn't use them. So
that's
OK with me.

PDFs: I think it's the captain's & passengers choice. I've got no problem
with a
law that say's you must HAVE enough PDF for everyone. That way the person
that
want's to use one has one availiable. But why tell anyone* they have to use
one??

Now, for children, I can see & agree with laws requireing them to wear PDFs
or seat belts. The idea her is we're helping to protect children from super
stupid
parents.

PS: I wear my seat belt 98% of the time, always wore a helmet when I rode
motorcycles even in CT where not required, and almost never wear a PDF:
I wear a PDF when the conditions are bad, when I'm out on a deck where
I can easily fall, or when there is no one else on the boat. But I'm almost
never in any of those conditions.

Anyway, that's my .02

, air bags, and helmet laws are all