rhys

Default Nova Scotia trip report (long)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:04:18 -0300, "Ken Heaton"
wrote:

Hi Marc,

My friend with the '74 Viking 33 (and his wife) just got back from a
short trip to the Magdaline Islands. 11 hours from Bay St. Lawrence in
northern Cape Breton to the islands, mostly close hauled to a beam reach.
Four days at the Marina to the south at La Grave??. Nine hours for the trip
back to Bay St. Lawrence, again close hauled to a beam reach to a broad
reach toward the end, but more wind, about 20 knots. Seeing up to 9 knots
boat speed surfing down the waves. Big bow wave but no complaints about the
ride, they had fun.

Excellent. Please pass them my congratulations...I guess maybe I worry
too much about the tenderness of the Viking 33 in a seaway...I just
assume it would snap about uncomfortably in heavy ocean (or Gulf) air.
Maybe I worry too much.

Due to family illness and time constraints, I STILL haven't got my
rebuilt Atomic 4 back into the boat...not that I seem to have time for
much more than club racing this year, so I'm glad to hear that old
Viking 33s like mine are still out there surfing off the waves. I've
hit 8 knots surfing off six foot waves, but then I've only got what
Lake Ontario produces by way of fetch G

But I have installed new batteries, fabricated and installed midship
cleats (nice for spring lines), fixed my Zodiac's outboard, installed
running lights and a battery on same tender, and have a new-to-me
recut Kevlar No. 1 to match the brand new cruising spinnaker I pray I
will use at least once this year....

I think what I really need is sculling oars and a mooring....,G...

R.