Gould 0738

Default Swift Boat Liars

And would you like to tell us which right wing president drug us into
that mess to support the right wing dictators???

Sure.

Eisenhower's Letter of Support to Ngo Dinh Diem, October 23, 1954.
Dear Mr. President: I have been following with great interest the course of
developments in Viet-Nam, particularly since the conclusion of the conference
at Geneva. The implications of the agreement concerning Viet-Nam have caused
grave concern regarding the future of a country temporarily divided by an
artificial military grouping, weakened by a long and exhausting war and faced
with enemies without and by their subversive collaborations within. Your recent
requests for aid to assist in the formidable project of the movement of several
hundred thousand loyal Vietnamese citizens away from areas which are passing
under a de facto rule and political ideology which they abhor, are being
fulfilled. I am glad that the United States is able to assist in this
humanitarian effort. We have been exploring ways and means to permit our aid to
Viet-Nam to be more effective and to make a greater contribution to the welfare
and stability of the government of Viet-Nam. I am, accordingly, instructing the
American Ambassador to Viet-Nam to examine with you in your capacity as Chief
of Government, how an intelligent program of American aid given directly to
your government can serve to assist Viet-Nam in its present hour of trial,
provided that your Government is prepared to give assurances as to the
standards of performance it would be able to maintain in the event such aid
were supplied. The purpose of this offer is to assist the Government of
Viet-Nam in developing and maintaining a strong, viable state, capable of
resisting attempted subversion or aggression through military means. The
Government of the United States expects that this aid will be met by
performance on the part of the Government of Viet-Nam in undertaking needed
reforms. It hopes that such aid, combined with your own continuing efforts,
will contribute effectively toward an independent Viet-Nam endowed with a
strong government. Such a government would, I hope, be so responsive to the
nationalist aspirations of its people, so enlightened in purpose and effective
in performance, that it will be respected both at home and abroad and
discourage any who might wish to impose a foreign ideology on your free people.

Sincerely,
Dwight D. Eisenhower

SOURCE: Department of State Bulletin. November 15, 1954, pp.735-736.