Lloyd Sumpter

Default Boating in Canada / Pacific Coast

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 16:12:28 -0700, Matt Lang wrote:

Folks,

I usually boat mostly on the pacific rivers and lakes but every so
often a trip in the sal****er around vancouver is on the schedule.

I have been trying to find the following information:

I have seme REALLY OLD lists, but they're probably out of date.
Vancouver Coast Guard might be able to tell you (Phone book, blue pages).

Gas stations: Mosquito Creek, Coal Harbour, Horseshoe Bay, Gibsons, a few
others. What can I say: I have a sailboat! (and buy gas for the skiff at a
gas station).

For boating in Georgia Strait: I bounced around there for a few years in a
Campion 18ft. Listen on VHF weather channels or phone (604)666-3655 for
weather information. The problem with G.S is the tides: they combine with
even the smallest swells to give nasty, sharp waves. Some places to avoid
where there's a flood tide and Westerly wind:
- Mouth of the Fraser, North (Wreck Beach) and South (Sandhead) arms
- Pt Atkinson and S of Bowen Island
- Porlier Pass (!!)
- Gower Point off Gibsons.

Other than that, no problem. You'll find the center of the Strait is
typically calmer than around the mouth of English Bay or certainly the
Fraser.

And possibly because there seems to be more flood tide than ebb in the
Strait, a Westerly wind creates more waves than an Easterly.

One thing to add to what Chuck said: although it's closer to go across to
Silva Bay, it's often calmer further south, as long as you avoid
Sandheads, and Porlier when there's a flood tide.

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36