Wayne.B

Default Proposed mandatory PFD law

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:43:44 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
Having been a victim of a accidental overboard (twice) , I'm all for
it.

Besides, the new suspender type inflatables are comfortable and don't
get in the way of anything.

I own a suspender type inflatable but I certainly don't wear it all
the time, only when I perceive a very real risk of going over and/or a
very real risk of non-recovery. Would you advocate that the
passengers aboard a 70 foot motor yacht all wear inflatable vests?
What about a 50 foot trawler in inland conditions? What about a 40
foot sportfish? Or a 30 foot express cruiser in flat water?

Hopefully you see my point. The vast majority of the time I would not
want to be wearing a PFD even in my 24 ft I/O, let alone any of the
other examples mentioned. On the other hand I have no problem what so
ever wearing my vest on deck in rough mid-ocean conditions, even on a
60 footer. Discretion and experience is required to make an
intelligent call. Have you ever tried to legislate that?