Jim Woodard

Default Water in the bilge. The saga continues...

The hose clamps were stainless steel and they did not fail....they
were never tightened correctly or, as my previous boat mechanic
turned independent said, never tightened at all at the factory.
Sea Ray is supposed to have a better quality control than that.

rhys wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:34:37 GMT, Jim Woodard
wrote:

I feel a whole lot better about
it now that there is absolutely no leak.

No doubt, and congratulations. Water should only come in the bilge
normally from the stuffing box, and many stuffing boxes today are the
"dripless" kind, which means there can reasonably be NO moisture in
the bilge except for humidity, spilled fluids, splash from the ocean,
wet lockers and Real Trouble, like failed hose clamps, cracked blocks,
cracked stern tubes, failed thru hulls and other Bad Stuff.

Were the clamps stainless steel? I have not heard of TWO failing at
once...that's why you have two instead of one, particularly below the
waterline. Or were they just not tightened properly? Regardless, you
should address this with the dealer.

R.

--
-