Celia Oblinger

Default Near Deaths on the Lower Gauley

Yes, the rafting company gave us good instructions on how to place our feet
to stay in the raft, and, I knew this, too, from having previously done
Ocoee. But they never mentioned about holding on to a handle or other
similar device.... I did anyway, when I could.

And, they did tell us what to do if we fell out of the raft. And, actually,
what they had told us to do - really helped my girlfriend with her
situation. However, the first that I remember, after flying out of the raft,
was being on my stomach, facing Chuck (in the boat) as he was trying to
extend the T-Grip end of a paddle to me. This, on my part, was TOTALLY
wrong. I should have been on my back, feet first, going downstream - NOT
face down swimming UPstream to try to get to Chuck's paddle.

That's a good explanation for how he got back in the boat - and I thank you
for giving it.

As I said earlier, no matter what else may or may not have happened, Chuck
did save my life - and I am now still alive to tell about it. But, at the
time, I really did feel as though I was spending my last moments.....

But I have decided that I don't want to die among rocks in a river - all for
the thrill of whitewater waves (And they ARE thrilling - when all is going
as it should!).

Three years ago, I spent a week and a half trekking from 8000 ft. to 18000
ft. - to Mt. Everest Base Camp from Lukla. At the time, it was the hardest
thing that I have ever done. Not so anymore. The Lower Gauley now has that
definite distinction.

Thanks to everyone for all of this comments and help!

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
Celia Oblinger wrote:

Oh, and one other thing: Chuck told my friend and I that ALL FOUR
OF US were thrown from the boat.

If that was the case, then you must know how long my friend were
in danger - because the first time that I again saw Chuck - he was
in the boat, holding the T-Grip out to me......

How did HE get back in the boat???

Experienced rafters, a group in which most guides are included,
can climb back into a raft by grabbing onto the side handles or
rope-line, kicking the feet for acceleration, and doing a pull-up.
When a raft flips upside-down, the situation is similar but worse.

Before I answer all your questions, if someone else doesn't
answer them to your satisfaction, let me ask you for more details.

During the ABC Company's safety talk, did they mention what to do
if you fell out of the raft? Did they give you pointers in how to
stay in the raft by putting weight on your feet, as if you're skiing,
or holding onto some handle?