Jay

Default Merc outboard questions

Thanks, especially to you and to Matt. I'm sure I'll have plenty of
questions in the future.

Jay

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Yes, it just means forward/neutral/reverse. The E means electric start.

Short shaft is the 15" leg. (kinda rare)

It has a duel point ignition, each set fires 3 of the cylinders.

I'm a bit of an expert on these motors....

-W

"Jay" jgibson1 AT COM CAST . NOT wrote in message
Hi all:

I just purchased a 1963 Mercury 1000 E / 100 HP short shaft, gear

shift
outboard motor for my 1963 Crestliner and I was born in 1963 so my stars

are
all alligned. I am driving a rediculous distance to pick this up but

great
price and running condition force me to indulge my whim. I have ordered

the
owners manual, shop manual and parts list/schematics but they won't be

here
before I pick up the motor.

My question: What does "gear shift" mean? Is it simply
forward/neutral/reverse? Or does it mean first, second, third(?) gear
shifting? I checked out http://www.oldmercs.com/196263Merc1000.htm but

it
doesn't explain the "gear shift" designation.

Thanks,
Jay