Bruce in Alaska

Default Rewiring , filters, twisted pairs.

In article ,
Earl Haase wrote:

You said that you must eliminate noise at the source. My idea or
question was that if I put capacitors on each power feed to each
instrument, would this eliminate it as a potential source of trouble?

What do you consider to be a "good" alternator filter?

You really only have to supress the noise if you actually have a
generator making it. I would install the equipment, and then move the
boat out, away from any yard or industrial like setting, before testing
for RFI. One of the things I have found over the years, is that most
shipyards are VERY NOISY PLACES, and you can't really find locally
generated noise, because it is being masked by the Yards noises.
Back in the day, we used to do most of the testing while the boat was
out on SeaTrials in Puget Sound, well away from the yards and docks.

Numar builds a very good set of Alternator Filters, that we have used
for years. I like their 80Amp version, myself, but the 160Amp version
works well for those BIG Alternators.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @