Doug

Default Cut GPS Antenna Wire??

On a simple BNC type GPS antenna, you can cut and shorten or lengthen. Be
aware that there is usually 5 VDC or in some old equipment 12 VDC run up the
coax from the GPS display to power up the electronics in the antenna sensor
unit. The GPS frequency is usually downconverted before going to the coax,
so loss is not a real big concern.
There are other GPS sensors than the coax type, such as NEMA and Raymarine
SeaTalk. Once again, be sure power has been turned off to the cable before
making cuts, splices, etc.
Opening the Antenna and looking for a BNC, SMA, or SLB connector is a good
idea, but it is a toss up on what to expect, a connector or solder to PCB.
Be sure to water proof your connection if you are in the Pacific NW to keep
the moss out. LOL
Doug K7ABX

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
Shortening is not a problem at those high frequencies. I wanted to

shorten
the cable on the antenna to my Garmin 162 to eliminate a bunch of extra
cable. I called Garmin. They said no problem, but it would void the

warrantee
on the antenna (but not the GPS) because they had no control over the

quality
of the connector and its installation. Since the unit was already off

warrantee,
I went ahead and did it. Works fine, signal strength is a touch stronger.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.