Matt Lang

Default Merc outboard questions

Congrats! I have owned a 1968 1250 for a while. nice motors while they run

Matt

"Jay" jgibson1 AT COM CAST . NOT wrote in message ...
Hi all:

I just purchased a 1963 Mercury 1000 E / 100 HP short shaft, gear shift
outboard motor for my 1963 Crestliner and I was born in 1963 so my stars are
all alligned. I am driving a rediculous distance to pick this up but great
price and running condition force me to indulge my whim. I have ordered the
owners manual, shop manual and parts list/schematics but they won't be here
before I pick up the motor.

My question: What does "gear shift" mean? Is it simply
forward/neutral/reverse? Or does it mean first, second, third(?) gear
shifting? I checked out http://www.oldmercs.com/196263Merc1000.htm but it
doesn't explain the "gear shift" designation.

Thanks,
Jay