MikeG

Default Proposed mandatory PFD law

In article . net,
says...
Hmmmm. A little overstatement Keith?

It looks as though NTSB is holding a public forum,
for which a $25 registration fee is being charged,
to consider a number of issues relating to PFDs
and recreational boats. Not exactly a rulemaking
proceeding.

In fact, I doubt that NTSB has jurisdictional
authority to impose PFD rules on recreational
boaters anyway. Does anyone know the answer?

What is interesting is that 112.5 people who
drowned last year (of the 750 total) were actually
wearing PFDs!

Keith wrote:
The NTSB in their bureaucratic wisdom is proposing a rule to require ALL
people on recreational boats to WEAR PFD's ALL the time. Here is a link to
the site, and the e-mail address to send your comments to. Since boating has
continually gotten safer, I certainly see no need for this. I do support the
PFD laws for kids and small boats like canoes, kayaks, and PWCs. If you
don't want to end up wearing a life jacket all the time, send it your
comments!
____________________________
http://www.ntsb.gov/academy/CourseInfo/MS701_200408.htm
This site is the NTSB.
They are considering this month a rule to require all on board to wear PFD's
ALL THE TIME.

Check out the site and then e mail

Holloway, Keith (NTSB)

with whatever comments you have. Be nice!

The NTSB has no enforcement or rule making powers. They can only advise
the appropriate agency. Say the FAA on matters concerning air travel or,
in this case, I imagine, the Coast Guard.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods