Jon C

Default Near Deaths on the Lower Gauley

Celia Oblinger wrote:

Believe it or not, I'm not actually bitching about it.

I knew going in of the possibility of having to swim - I just hadn't done my
homework on the dangers that I would be accepting, and experiencing.

Bitching, I am not. Perheps my trip is nothing particularly out of the
ordinary - and if that is the answer, then this is what I want to know.

I'm not bitching about having to swim - I just wonder if it could have been
avoided. It was very dangerous in the areas into which we were thrown. If it
could have been avoided, then hopefully I could pass this information along,
in a constructive manner - so it would be better for other people down the
road.

My only "complaint" if you want to call it that - is that perhaps I should
have been AMPLY warned of the dangers that I would be undertaking.

But, even that falls under my resposibility - I should have researched
further.

If what I had was a pretty typical rafting trip (as others have said to
me) - then I just can't understand why anyone would be willing to put their
life on the line for the thrill of whitewater.

I DO take adventurous chances - including Mt. Everest.

But even with had, I had a great deal of control about my fate. With my
whitewater trip, I felt as if I had no control at all.

Thanks, though, for your comments!

Whitewater is dangerous. That's why it's fun. By climbing into a raft
you accept the possibility that you could fall off the raft, and
obviously the water is not an overly safe place to be.

If you didn't realize that while you were putting on your PFD, climbing
into the raft, or grabbing the paddle - especially if it wasn't your
first time - then you are beyond hope.

Get some common sense. You fell out of a raft on some whitewater, you
swam for a bit, maybe in a hole or two, then you got pulled back in.
Wow, that scenario is so far beyond the realm of possibility that I am
amazed it happened, and can't blame you for not thinking it might!

Jesus.