Rick Tyler

Default Trying to choose a design

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:46:02 GMT, MN wrote:

snip
So does anyone have experience with the Wren or Tern? Are my concerns
about the flat-bottom Vacationer in open water unfounded? I'd love some
advice.

Have you looked at Jacques Mertens' VG20? It's a modern S&G version
of the popular Vagabond. It's higher-performance than Devlin's boats,
and just about as easy to build. The Vacationer is not in the same
league.

For building plans www.boatplans-online.com. Perhaps the biggest
reason to choose the VG20 is www.bateau2.com, the builder's support
web site. I doubt there are any better sites for any designer's
builders. One of finest first-person online accounts of building any
boat is Justin Pipkorn's VG20 at
http://amateurboatbuilding.com/ProjectJustRight/.

If I had the room and money, I'd build one (or its bigger sister the
VG23) in a heartbeat.

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian