Doug Dotson

Default Circuit Breaker trips while charging??

"Steve" wrote in message
I just replaced the 35 amp OEM alternator with a 100 amp Delco.

Everything is working as planned except that the 100 amp circuit breaker
between the engine battery and the house bank trips after about 10 min
if I set the charge rate any higher than 70 amps.

Generally a breaker should be sized about 25% higher than the max
expected load. The accuracy of breakers isn't all that good.

My house battery bank is about 800AH deep cyle and over the past 3
weeks, since I haven't been on dock power or had much wind for the wind
generator, I'm down to about 50%. I really need to get a full charge so
I can proceed with a much needed equalization charge.

Doubtful that an equalization charge is needed after just 3 weeks.

I don't think I should increase the breaker size since it is sized to
the cable between the battery selector switch and the two battery systems.

I don't think you have a choice. The wire size is based upon the system
as originally designed. When tripling the size of the alternator you must
expect that some of the other components of the system will have to be
upgraded as well. What is the size of the wire and the distances of the
runs?

I thought this might have something to do with the current flowing in
the opposite direction to the normal load, however, I reverse the
breaker leads and but the problem remains.

Why would current be flowing opposite just because the alternator
is larger? Breakers don't have polarity.

I have several other Blue
Seas 7002 100 amp breakers in the system and I'm considering an exchange
to determine if I have a faulty breaker.

Could be. Have you measured the actual current through the breaker in
question?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions