MN

Default Trying to choose a design

I'm trying to decide which boat to build. We'll be sailing mostly around
lakes here in Minnesota but we'd also like to take some trips to the
Ocean (Florida Key's, San Francisco Bay, Boston, etc.) as well as the
Great Lakes. It has to be trailerable and fun to sale.

I'm still undecided about size. I'm looking at the Weekender,
Vacationer, Winter Wren II, and Arctic Tern. We'd like enough cabin room
to sleep 2 (or more) and would like to be able to day sail with 4 or 5
people and not be too crowded.

Has anyone built an Arctic Tern. I'm curious as to how well it sails.
I've heard that Nancy's China doesn't sail well to windward and I'm
wondering if that's a trait the Arctic Tern shares as well.

The drawback for the Weekender/Vacationer is that it's a flat bottom
instead of a V so I'm concerned it won't be as comfortable in larger
unprotected bodies of water.

So does anyone have experience with the Wren or Tern? Are my concerns
about the flat-bottom Vacationer in open water unfounded? I'd love some
advice.

Thanks!

-Dave