Reg

Default Need ring gear or specs for 1995 PCM 5.8 Pro Boss

Go get the automotive equivalent, preferably from a parts place that
will fit it onto your old flywheel.
Perhaps more importantly, find out WHY you've lost teeth - e.g.
starter not mounted properly.
If you want to do it yourself you can play around with putting the ring
gear in the oven and the flywheel in the freezer, be sure there are
THREE solid reference points supporting the flywheel at it's edge.
Make sure the ring gear drops to each of these pads, you have a few
seconds to get it straight, but only a few. The old one can be broken
off with a cold chisel.

Wear safety glasses, use oven mitts, don't do this unless you're
confident about it - pay $20/25 to a pro instead.

\R

" wrote:

HELP!

Thought I had a bad starter, but upon removal found two teeth sheared from
the ring gear. No local PCM dealer, but a local marina says that the PCM
ring gear is no longer available as a separate part, but only with the
flywheel assembly.

Any difference between the automotive and marine ring gear? I have found
the automotive equivalent for $20 (164 tooth for a 351W) vs. $375 for a
flywheel with ring gear. I have to make sure pin location/diameter/tooth
count is the same and there are no "special treatments" to be concerned
with. I'll also need to count the teeth on the existing flywheel, plus two
: if no one out there has the specs. Not hard, but not easy with three
kids under five yrs either...

Any recommendations?

TIA,

Matt